of Jones Park and the Historic Trail to Pikes Peak
Colorful Homesteaders of Jones Park
1600 Indian Presence
1873 Joseph Jones homestead
1874 Homestead Act and Surveys: Kellogg Survey
1885 Partridge, Tenney and Loud acquire parcels
1888 Giles and Corliss Bear Creek Inn
1882 Mayo Smith
1900 Captain Jack
Travel to Pikes Peak
1891 Simmons and Dynamite
1893 Katherine Lee Bates and America the Beautiful
Rosemont Corporation and Railroads to Cripple Creek
1885 J.J. Hagerman Railroad
1890 El Paso Club Young Businessmen
1891 Cripple Creek gold discovered / 1894 Battle of Cripple Creek
1894 Rosemont Corporation formation
1894 J. Arthur Connell
1894 Percy Hagerman
1901 Short Line Railroad to Cripple Creek
The "Historic Trail" to the summit of Pikes Peak is the primary route used by persons to climb the Peak prior to the opening of alternates including Barr Trail, the Pikes Peak Highway and the Cog Railroad. In the day, tourists traveled to by train to the Colorado Springs depots, stayed at the historic downtown hotels, and prepared for the ascent up the most imposing mountain many had ever seen.
The route of the Historic Tail is from the "ranger house" at the intersection of 26th Street and High Drive, up past Josephine Falls, to the connections with Captain Jacks Trail through Jones Park. Then to Lake Moraine, through the Dead Lake area, up to Windy Point and on to Pikes Peak.
The area at Jones Park was relatively flat and in the beautiful Bear Creek drainage. The appeal was obvious to persons that desired to settle. The Homestead Act (1862) was unique in that it did not discriminate by gender or race. Any “head of family” person could acquire up to 160 acres by showing evidence of good character, and residence on the land including improvements and working the land. The five years requirement was amended to allow 14 months and $1.25 per acre.
The business and commercial appeal was not lost either as both tourist travel to Pikes Peak, and later, a railroad to Cripple Creek, offered substantial business opportunity. The Bear Creek Inn and were built as hotels and rest points for travelers. Plans for a railroad, to Pikes Peak and to Cripple Creek, caused speculation that Jones Park would be the next gateway city like Manitou, Monument or Woodland Park.
Prayer Tree in Stratton Open Space
Ute Indian Presence
The Ute Indians were reported by the Spanish
in the area of Pikes Peak in 1604 and 1685 and likely hunted the
area long before the first report.
The legend of the Utes was that the great god, Manitou (the
Peak or "El Capitan" as the Spanish called it) commanded his pet
serpent such up the water in from the plains and to lie beside him to form the Cheyenne Canyon.
“Devil’s Horns” on Cheyenne Mountain and the view from northeast
Colorado Springs show the serpent lying next to the god.
The Ute Indians used the “Sacred Mountains”
as their hunting grounds.
The Utes followed the buffalo up Ute Pass to South Park.
However, the buffalo did not migrate up the Cheyenne
presence in the Canyon was less than the presence in Manitou
Springs, Garden of the Gods, or the Ute Pass, but prayer trees
still remain as as evidence of the Utes in the area.
In 1839, Dr. Wislizenus “A Journey to the
Rocky Mountains" prophesied that the “destiny of small tribes
foretold certainty.” The Pikes Peak or Bust silver rush brought thousands of
prospectors and settlers were descending on the 1,400 Utes in more
than ten tribes.
In 1863, the Ute Indians gave up the area that is now Cheyenne
Canyon in the first of the four Hunt treaties.
Chief Ouray traded the area for the rights to hunt forever
in what is most of western Colorado.
Henry Teller organized the “Utes must Go”
campaign after the Meeker uprising over a threat to take the horse
away from the Indians.
Meeker and nine men were killed by Indians led by Captain Jack.
In 1881, the Ute Indians left Colorado for Utah.
More on Indian Prayer Trees
(It is unlikely that this picture is correct based
on location, cabin description and photography capabilities for
the time; compare to Henry cabin).
Bessie Henry Cabin built using fireplace of Jones Cabin
Kellogg Survey Monument
located on Historic Trail aka Captain Jacks Trail
Surveys and Survey Monument Image
Joseph C. Jones (1830-1882)
"On August 1, 1873, Mr. Joseph C. Jones, one of Colorado's pioneers, has put up a building in 'Jones Park' about half way to the summit of Pikes Peak, where he proposes to keep a hotel and restaurant for the convenience of persons ascending the Peak." (Local Colorado Springs paper prior to Gazette).
Jones had come to Colorado as part of the 1859 gold and silver rush as a prospector. The Cheyenne Canyon was ripe for settlement due to the fact the Ute Indians had ceded the area in the Hunt Treaties (1862) to the Colorado Territory. The Homestead law allowed homesteaders to acquire the land. The Pikes Peak area was growing and a resort business was needed for trips up the Peak.
In 1873 Joseph C. Jones paid $200 for a patent for less than 160 acres that was issued in 1878. In his 1875 homestead affidavit: he stated he was 43 years old and had lived in Territory of Colorado since 1859 as a prospector and explorer. Jones was deemed to be a good citizen and acquired a homestead.
Jones erected a log house 18' by 22' by cultivated a garden. Included were fishing ponds, bird houses including peacocks, vines and a planned opera house “to rival anything in Colorado Springs.”
Of note are the “fishing ponds” to allow guests the opportunity to fish. A fire in the 1850s had killed all the fish in the Bear Creek and Jones hired a contractor to stock the ponds. The contractor brought fish in buckets from the South Platte area to stock the stream. These fish may have turned out to be the Green backed cutthroat trout.
To get to Jones’ cabin, one traveled on the Bear Creek Toll Road, known as previously as the Pikes Peak Trail. The Bear Creek Toll Road was constructed by Edward Copley and Matt France in 1873 to the Lake House at Lake Moraine. This is the first leg of the historic 1873 road to Pikes Peak via Jones Park to the Lake House at Lake Moraine then to the summit. The Bear Creek Trail is currently Trail #667 commonly known as Captain Jack’s.
In 1874, the US Army Weather station built at the summit of Pikes Peak using the Bear Creek Toll Road. A telegraph line was completed through Lake Moraine that allowed room reservations and reports from the summit.
Some accounts portray Jones as somewhat crazy in his later life. R.T. Cross published an encounter with Jones in which he wrote: “they said he was crazy and I did not wish to encounter him” he was a “tall fierce looking man” “wild look in his eyes” ‘I am the greatest man in all this region. I was the first to discover gold in the Rocky Mountains. I will make you rich if you loan me $200’ he said.”
He died in 1882. His cabin burnt down leaving only a chimney that was later used in the construction of the Bessie Henry cabin.
Map of Homestead Claims
Image of a Map of Homestead Claims in Jones
Homestead Act (1862) was unique in that it did not discriminate by gender or race. Any “head of family” person could acquire up to 160 acres by showing evidence of good character, and residence on the land including improvements and working the land. The five years requirement was amended to allow 14 months and $1.25 per acre.
Partridge, Loud and Tenney: Colorado College Retreat
Alwyn Hammond Partridge (1848-1931) and Frank Herbert Loud (1852-1927) both graduated from Amherst College (1871 & 1873). Both came to Colorado Springs for employment at Colorado College under President Edward Payson Tenney (1835-1916).
Partridge worked as corporate secretary at Colorado College Land Company, and also, for Walter Hatch's (Tenney's brother -in-law) Colorado Springs Investment and Improvement Company (1882). Loud was a professor of mathematics and astronomy at Colorado College.
After the death of Joseph Jones, his estate sold his homestead (1883) to Partridge for $400 by way of a deed to Alfred Winn. Alfred Winn (b. May 30, 1858) was the son of Partridge’s future wife Susanna Elizabeth (Maltby) Partridge (married 1884). She may have provided funds for the purchase using her son’s deed as collateral on the future promise of marriage. In any event, the deed was transferred to Alwyn Partridge after the marriage was consummated (1884) as the head of the household.
Concurrently, both Loud and Tenney obtained properties adjacent to the Jones-Partridge parcel during the same year (1883). Loud homesteaded directly across (to the north) and Tenney purchased the two parcels near the "beaver ponds", (directly west of Loud) from Grace McDonald and Frank Lavige (1882-3) shortly after they acquired their homestead deeds. The intent may have been to build a summer retreat for Colorado College personnel or, perhaps, there was a speculative vision of future growth.
Shortly thereafter by 1885,Tenney was force to resign as president of Colorado College due to defaulting on payments for a housing development in the "North End" of Colorado Springs (12% interest caused default). His Jones Park property, also, went into foreclosure, and Partridge acquired the foreclosed Tenney’s interests from First National Bank in 1885. Partridge continued to purchase land buying a portion of the Hale parcel (140 acres) sometime near 1888. Loud built a cabin (later destroyed by a snow slide) and Partridge continued to hold the land, but did not construct any structures during this period.
When the Rosamont Corporation was formed in 1894, Partridge traded a portion of his interests (including the original Jones parcel) to Loud, with the remainder being transferred to the Rosamont Corporation.
Link to Frank Loud
Alwyn Hammond Partridge (1848-1931) was a Colorado College clerk who later became the inventor of: steel scrub pads and nut locks (1909);
Image from Kineo Mountain showing Bear Creek Inn in 1903
U.S. Mineral surveyor Edwin Giles
Car Trip in Nevada
More on Giles History
The Giles Family: Developers and Builders of Jones Park
Edith Corliss moved from Boston to Colorado in about 1888. In 1889, Edith W. Corliss provided a homestead affidavit stating that: she was “single, 22 years old,” and was the head of a household. She acquired a homestead that would become the center of the Jones Park area. The Rosamont or Bear Creek Inn was an eight room “summer resort” and boarding area for persons traveling to Pikes Peak.
Had the application been true, Edith would have been one of the youngest female homesteaders in Colorado at 22 years of age. However, information on her death certificate and tombstone show that Edith may have forgot, or misrepresented, her age on the homestead application. Her death certificate lists her date of birth as 1873. And, her tombstone lists her date of birth as 1872. She may have been 17 years old on the date of her homestead and 16 years old on the date she began “working the land.” How old was Edith? Her death certificate, tombstone and census reports all report different ages. Some women fudge so even their husband's don't know.
More Tombstone and Death Certificates History
She hired a handyman named Ed Giles to work on the Inn. They did not marry until 1894.
Imagine a 16 year-old-girl from Boston traveling to Colorado to homestead and open a lodging hotel on the side of Peaks Peak to board miners and tourists. Her parents must have wondered when the request came for money for the homestead fee.
Edwin Schofield Giles graduated from New York College and came to Colorado Springs in the early 1890s. He met Edith and they married in 1894. They resided at 739 N. Cascade Ave. then in Cripple Creek, and operated the Bear Creek Inn during the summer months.
Edwin was the primary builder of cabins in the area working on the Inn, the Godfrey cabin, the Louds cabins and others. In 1894, Edwin built a cabin at site of Jones house for Bessie Henry (a kindergarten teacher and educator). Giles built a cabin for Mr. Prebbles west of old Jones site. The Prebbles cabin was purchased by Fannie Witbeck (Garfield elementary teacher) and later burnt. He built a cabin to east of the Inn for Mrs. Orin Godfrey aunt of Mrs. Giles. The Giles twins were born in Godfrey cabin.
Comparison of Jones Park 1903 to same Photo in 2010
was discovered in Cripple Creek in 1891, the Inn looked to be
perfectly situated for travel by stage or train to Cripple Creek.
Railroads were planned and surveys completed and proposed routes
are indicated on early maps.
Edwin was a dreamer that chased the gold rush across the West. Oddly, his “gold mine” proved to be an antique shop in a town he had never lived in, or heard of, that happened 30 years after his death.
Giles chased his dreams to Jones Park for tourists (1888), to Cripple Creek (for gold 1891), then to Goldfield Nevada (for gold 1905). He caused a gold rush to Weepah, Nevada, (1927) when, as U.S. Mineral Surveyor, he assayed gold on a claim by two 19 year olds. He lived a comfortable life, but never struck his gold mine.
Giles “gold mine” turned out to be the real estate his house sat on long after his death.
More on Giles History
The Rosemont Corporation
The survey of County Engineer, H. Reid, reported in the Gazette called for a combination of railroad and cog rail to run from Bull Hill in Cripple Creek to Colorado Springs that required: “The system is practically the same as that now in use on the Manitou Pikes Peak line except that there is in addition to cog machinery additional machinery for locomotion by adhesion.” (Gazette March 1894).
The prospect of a railroad through Jones Park led to the formation of the "Rosamont Park" corporation to control the land and right of ways through the Bear Creek drainage. The shareholder/subscribers were some of the most prominate persons from Colorado Springs that envisioned Jones Park a gateway town to gold in Cripple Creek.
The formation of Rosamont is a fascinating look at a rugby team, the Battle of Bull Hill, the El Paso Club and a group of subscribers who each had a story.
Rosamont Park Corporation
Larger pdf of full Rosamont Agreement copy of original Rosamont Agreement
In 1884, Frank Loud, age 33, a professor at
Colorado College teaching mathematics and astronomy, paid $147 for
108 acres, and built a log house 16' square that was later
destroyed by a snow slide.
In 1902, he rebuilt a new
cabin, called the Chipmunk Lodge, and two other cabins. One
cabin, using the logs from the original cabin, and the other the
“Ruby Gleam”. The Rudy Gleam burnt, but the cabin made from
the logs of the original cabin lasted until about 1960.
During the summer the cabins were rented. The
Simkins sisters stayed at one for several summers.
Images and History of Loud’s Cabins.
From May 1899 to Jan. 1900 , Nikola Tesla moved to Colorado
Springs to conduct experiments involving wireless energy.
He set up a laboratory in the vicinity of Kiowa and Foote
Street in a large barn like structure.
Part of Tesla’s research involved sending radio waves into
space using an amplifier.
During one of these experiments, Tesla used a crude radio
telescope to listen to any response from outer space.
He heard the famous: “one, two three ..” that he
interpreted as possibly coming from Mars sometimes called the
At the time, Loud was the per-eminent
astronomer in the western United States, and certainly in Colorado
Springs. Loud was
developing an observatory in the Nob Hill area of Colorado
Springs within blocks of Tesla’s laboratory.
Both Loud and Tesla were well known in the scientific
community and were often published in the same publications.
The librarian of Colorado College, Manly D. Ormes,
described Tesla’s laboratory in an article in the Gazette in 1924
indicating that scientists from Colorado College had toured
There is some logic to believe that Tesla
would have consulted the per-eminent astronomer in the area
concerning what he heard from his radio telescope.
Of course, Loud would have been at some disadvantage as the
radio, amplifier, and radio telescope had not yet been invented.
Perhaps, Loud, the mathematician, had the same reaction as
the Gazette, in believing Tesla to have gone mad and that he was
telling the biggest lie possible.
is no evidence of any actual meeting between Tesla and Loud.
Tesla was of course an eccentric, and Loud extremely shy. If they
did in fact meet, one can only imagine what sort of stilted, and
awkward, conversations they might have had.
In any event, Colorado Springs was spared the
label as the first place contacted by unidentified aliens from
outer space. Tesla,
believing he had found the answer to transmitting electricity
without wires, lost interest in the aliens and hastily left for
New York to construct his newest invention.
Who knows what Loud though or knew, but he
likely kept anything said, to himself, to avoid the public
ridicule Tesla endured.
Bear Creek Inn & Resort
Cripple Creek Gold
In 1891, gold is discovered in Cripple Creek
by Bob Womack.
Cripple Creek becomes the center of a massive gold rush.
In Victor during 1884, the Woods brothers are selling
mining claims in the side of the hill as condominium claims.
The people that are making their fortunes in Cripple Creek
live in Colorado Springs (Woods, Stratton and others) and the
route to Cripple Creek is of prime importance.
Jones Park real estate is perfectly located for a stage
line and railroad.
In 1886, the Colorado Midland Railroad is
constructed up Ute Pass with a stage line that runs to Cripple
Creek. The Florence
Railroad runs south through Canon City and up the Arkansas River
valley. The main
trail up Pikes Peak is the Bear Creek trail through Jones Park to
Shortline RR near St. Peters Dome
Changes in Travel to Pikes Peak
Changes were coming to the area that would
change the outlook for Jones Park.
In 1878, Alfred Cree “Cree Trail” began
blasting rock through Engelmann Canyon to allow travel through
Ruxton Park to Lake
Moraine. The portion
of the trail that was nearly impassible was traveled by the
“Rocky Mountain Canaries” the burros that could be rented for
trips to the top of Pikes Peak. The
trip on the Cree trail was only 10 miles instead of the 18 miles
on the Bear Creek Trail.
Zalmon Simmons, inventor and founder of the
Simmons Beauty-rest Mattress Company, rode one of the Rocky
Mountain Canaries to the top of Pikes Peak.
The trip was so difficult
that he built a cog railway to the top that opened in 1889.
Manitou & Pike's Peak Railway changed the options for
travelers wanting to ascend Pikes Peak.
1891 Bear Creek Toll Road Company formed by Herbert Reed, WH
Plum general contractor. City engineers and dignitaries went up
the new toll road to Lake Moraine. Vehicle 25c per person to
Jones Park, 50c / person to Seven Lakes, 50c / person on horseback
and 10c person or for each livestock;
The Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek
Railroad or "Short Line" traversing the south slope of Pikes Peak
was proposed to force freight rates downward accelerating
production. At peak
capacity, the Midland Terminal Railroad operated ten trains a day.
One train carried parlor cars and sleepers and offered champagne
dinners on overnight excursions from Denver. Freight cars hauled
coal, lumber, explosives, machinery, fruit and other luxuries.
Outbound, the same cars carried ore for delivery to reduction
mills, such as the Golden Cycle, Standard, Telluride, and Portland
mills at the western edge of Colorado Springs.
The name was changed to Colorado Springs and
Cripple Creek District Railway on November 17, 1899. An extension
to Colorado Springs opened in April 1901. The completion of the
Short Line to Cripple Creek at a lower elevation included a stop
at what is now the Gold Camp parking lot.
However, the new railroad ended all hopes for Jones Park as
the gateway to Cripple Creek or Pikes Peak.
In 1903, Edwin Giles and family ended their
involvement in Jones Park and in 1907 moved to Goldfield, Nevada,
where he worked as a mining engineer and surveyor.
Oddly, in 1927, Giles was the assayer, and witness, to a mining
strike in Tonopah, Nevada that caused the last gold rush of the 20th
century. Even odder,
the Giles home in Goldfield was moved to Las Vegas and became an
antique store called: “The Odd Shop.”
More on Giles History (pretty amazing);
Captain Jack with Gun and Pick Ax
Captain Ellen Jack (November
4, 1842 – June 16,1921)
In 1900, the Giles family moved to Cripple
Creek and lived several blocks from a boarding house operated by
at Bennett Avenue and 4th
Street. She was
well-known as “Captain Jack” a name acquired from her late
husband. She was
somewhat a legend for her being a woman prospector and miner in
Gilpin County and her ownership of the Black Queen Mine.
Articles about her say: “it is doubtful any
woman in early Colorado ever lived a wilder life.”
“Of the numerous times she was arrested, Ellen was always
justified in shooting the man or men who tried to steal, cheat or
Accomplished at handling
pistols and rifles, Captain Jack had to use these weapons more
than once throughout her life. She took part in gun fights, fought
off “amorous” Native Americans, and traveled through
avalanche-prone mountains that kept everyone else off the trails.
It is said she always carried her pistol and pick-ax no matter
where she traveled.
“I do not fear man or
devil; it is not in my blood, and if they can shoot any straighter
or quicker than I, let them try it, for a .44 equalizes frail
women and brute men, and all women ought to be able to protect
themselves against such ruffians,” she had said.
In 1903, Captain Jack moved
to Colorado Springs. She opened a wild-west tourist cabin and
resort operation near what is now Captain Jacks t railhead or Trail
#667. Tourists were
hawked to visit her cabin where she lived with her pet burro, cats
and parrots, and a snake.
Her tourist attraction
suffered until 1920 from competition, floods, financial woes and
an aging legend. In
1965, the remaining cabins were demolished by the City of Colorado
Her grave in the Evergreen Cemetery faces west toward the
While Captain Jack is not memorized in Colorado Springs, with
the exception of one trail that is about to be closed, she is
honored on the Colorado Women's Gold Tapestry at the State Capitol
honoring the women who were integral in the settlement and
development of Colorado.
More on Captain Jack
History and Images
Colorado Women's Gold Tapestry (see if you can pick her out):
The Seven Lakes Hotel
Dr. Mayo G. Smith (1816-1901)
Upon his death the Gazette wrote:
“Dr. Smith’s death closed one of the most remarkable
careers in the history of this century.
Dr. Smith was known to most of the great men of his time …
“ His obituary
was international news that was carried in newspapers from New
York to Oregon to Paris.
While some of the details and events stated
in various articles are impossible to verify, the time line of Dr.
Smith’s life is as follows:
1836: one of the first students of Oberlin
College (verified by Oberlin records);
1840: Barn storming country as minister and
anti-slavery lecturer; (historical accounts corroborated by
letters to Oberlin College);
1841: Commercial photographer:
The earliest advertisement for daguerreotype image
photography was placed by Dr. Mayo Smith who was “initiated in in
the mysteries by Professor Morse.”
Many of the early images are believed to be by Dr. Smith
but were unsigned.
1842: First reporter for the New York
Tribune; friends with Horace Greeley who hired him;
1844: Associated with Samuel Morse in
completing the telegraph and in establishing the first telegraph
line between Washington and Baltimore; Morris code dots and dashes
inventor was Alfred Vail; Dr. Smith suggested musical notes;
1848: author of a series of books on the use
of chloroform in dental procedures; apparently Dr. Smith was one
of the first to use ether in dentistry in the US;
“A popular treatise on the teeth: containing a history of
the dental art ... also a full ... account of the history of ether
or lethean used as chloroform in the US.”
(This book in currently available for purchase on Amazon);
1849: Joined Army in California;
1852: made fortune in Australia in the wool
1850s: Sent to India by the Queen of England;
blessed by Pope Pius for the first time;
1856: Swam the Niagara River;
Ballooned over the Washington monument;
1860 Local reports of Dr. Smith swimming
naked in local river; Dr. Smith stated that “this is the forth
winter that I divested myself of clothing ..to bath in the winter
waters and dry myself in the northeast winter winds.”
Claiming health benefits, he is not arrested.
1864: Sea-master and boat owner of first ship
to sail out of
San Francisco when port opened to travel to Australia;
1866: friends with young and upcoming writer
named Samuel Clemens in San Francisco;
1866: sailed on a clipper ship, the Nellie
Chaplin, with George Adams one of the disciplines of the Zion
movement, for the purpose of establishing a colony of Americans in
Palestine. ; (Verified in ship manifest and subject of “Allies for
Armageddon: the Rise of Christen Zionism” by Victoria Clark 2007);
1868: Traveling with Mark Twain throughout Europe; Mayo G. Smith
was widely reported to be inspiration for "the Doctor" that was the subject of
Mark Twain's the "Innocents Abroad”;
1871: Published article on science of bathing;
1873: Articles in the Colorado Springs Gazette about Dr. Smith;
1876: Married Anna
Corinne COLBY, a physician , who was 32 years younger;
1873-6: moved to Colorado Springs;
1880 Census working as a physician in
1882: Owner of the hotel in the 7 Lakes area
of the Canyon; Dr.
Mayo Smith operated hotel
“bowling alley and billiard room.”
Dr. Smith was widely considered one of the
pioneers of Colorado Springs and was involved in many land
transactions around the Rosemont Reservoir and throughout Seven
Lakes. There is
considerable unverified speculation concerning why he moved to
Colorado Springs, and whether he knew William Jackson Palmer, or
others, prior to moving.
The Seven Lakes Hotel
1880 Mayo G. Smith purchases from David
L.Welch and Quincy King the claim in Seven Lakes Park
together with the stock in the Cheyenne Lake Park and Pikes Peak
Toll Road Companies Smith operated the hotel in 1882-3.
"The Seven Lakes Hotel is being nicely fitted
up for the summer by M.F. Smith the proprietor. A bowling
alley and bollard room are being fitted for the use of the guests,
and in many other respects the place is being made attractive."
More on Mayo G. Smith
Frank Nelson (1857 -1944)
Nelson came to Colorado from Denmark in 1906
and prospected while operating Nelson’s Resorts from 1906-1931.
Tourists would be hiked from the Gold Camp Road to several
resort cabins along what is currently the Pipeline Trail.
Remains from the cabins as well as various nails, cans, and
metal items are still present as of 2013.
Nelson is widely credited with having built
the 7 Bridges Trail (1906).
Other accounts indicate that
Frank Romyn (1903)
may have beaten him to it.
Romyn built a trail from North Cheyenne Canyon for over
$600 for the purpose of bringing guests to the Bear Creek Inn on
Shetland ponies. Romyn
advertised that the “two ponds were stocked” at “Mariona Park”,
and he planned to bring 20,000 more fish to Jones Park.
Frosty Clemens (
A cousin of Mark Twain, who was a prospector
and miner living in what has come to be known as Frosty Park.
He is said to have died in one of his mines, but has never
been found. His cabins
survived into the 1940s, but there are currently no remains.
Frosty may have built the trail, Frosty Clemens Trail, in
the area. A wagon road
to the top of Mt. Baldy originates in this area.
Forestry Experimental Forest
In 1904-09, the Forestry Service planted
experimental nursery beds in Jones park to grow Englemann spruce,
Douglas Fir, Limber Pine and Ponderosa Pine.
Nurserymen walked to Rosemont and Clyde.
City Reservoir Plans
proposed dam 100 feet high to be built at a cost of $1 Million was
proposed in 1948.
||(c) Action Matrix (2007-2016)