Loud's Cabin remains
Jones Park- Colorado
Jones Park is in Cheyenne Canyon
and may be reached by either the Captain Jacks (667)
and 7 Bridges trails. See those trail descriptions for most
information on how to reach this connecting trail.
From the top of the 7 Bridges trail turn to the
north (downhill) on the Pipeline trail (662A) to reach Jones Park.
Jones Park is located at the confluence of the streams along trail 667.
About 300 yards to the west off of 667 is a side
trail to the north that leads to Loud's Cabin. Due east, about 50
yards away are the remains of a second cabin. To the North is a
trail to Mt. Garfield.
A series of small trails cross the area.
August 1, 1973, Mr. Joesph .C. Jones, one of Colorado's pioneers, has
put up a building in 'Jones Park' about half way to the summit of Pikes
Peak, where he proposes to keep a hotel and restaurant for the
convenience of persons ascending the Peak." - local paper.
To get there, one
traveled on the Bear Creak Toll Road, known as previously as the Pikes
Peak trail, the first leg of the historic 1873 road to Pikes Peak via
Jones Park to the Lake House at Lake Moraine. At Jones Park was a
resort for the "thousands of visitors" expected. Jones, a prospector and
explorer, was deemed to be a good citizen and purchased the 160 acre
tract for $200.Jones erected a
log house 18' by 22' by cultivated a garden.
Included were find
ponds, bird houses, vines and a planned opera house. Some accounts
portray Jones as somewhat crazy in his later life. He died in
1882. His cabin burnt down leaving only a chimney.
In 1889, the Bear Creek Inn was the most important structure with 8 rooms, at Rosamont Park (Jones Park).
The lodge was constructed around the
old Jones chimney. The lodge was owned and operated by Edwin and
Edith (Corliss) Giles. Many other cabins dotted the area.
Edwin S. Giles
became a central figure in the area. and constructed many of the cabins,
and formed the Rosemont Park Company (including Frank Loud) for the
purpose of developing the area. A railroad was planned to go
through Jones Park to Cripple Creek, and when in 1891 gold was
discovered in Cripple Creek, surveys for the rail route were done.
However, when the proposed short line railroad was built a a lower
elevation instead, hopes for the area dwindled.
The Giles family,
that pioneered Jones Park, ultimately left to mine in Goldfield, NV.
If there was
any justice the area would be known as Gile's Park.
In 1884 Frank Loud, age 33, paid $147 for 108 acres, and built a log
house 16' square that was later destroyed by a snow slide.
In 1902, he rebuilt the current cabin, called the Chipmunk Lodge, and 2
other cabins. One cabin using the logs form the original cabin,
and the other the Ruby Gleam. The Rudy Gleam burnt, but the cabin
made from the logs of the original cabin lasted until about 1960.
Other settlers obtained patents to all of the land in the
area. Gradually, Loud acquired a controlling interest in much of
The City of Colorado Springs obtained deed to the Loud lands in 1946,
and the last deed to lands in 1952. The City planned to build a
"million dollar" dam at Jones Park in 1948, but that was never built.
Shattered Dreams on Pikes Peak, by Ivan Brunk
(1987) is the authoritative history of this area.
To the east of Loud's Cabin was
another cabin known to be frequented by a local Colorado Springs
musician, Des Bryant, who often would practice his flute and stay.
The cabin was unusual in design in that it was a story and one half with
a loft that was accessed by a slat later. In the 1960s the cabin
fell into disrepair and today the only remains are the storage bricks
that were once below the small structure.
Frank Herbert Loud (1852-1927) was a mainstay of
mathematical life at Colorado College for its first third of a century,
the first head of the department of mathematics.
Loud's 1880 textbook, An Introduction
to Geometry upon the Analytical Plan, began the tradition of textbook
writing by CC faculty members. He continued to make a number of
mathematical contributions in research papers.
Loud formed the
Colorado Meteorological Association, which had its headquarters
at the College's Meteorological Observatory, where students took
regular readings over many years.
On his retirement in 1907
Loud continued to live in Colorado Springs (1203 N. Tejon) and
to pursue his meteorological and astronomical work.
The image was
taken from an oil portrait done by J.I.McClymont of Colorado
Springs in the mid 1920's.
||Frank Loud, a science professor and librarian who was a classmate of
Melvil Dewey’s at Amherst when Dewey first introduced his scheme. Prof.
Loud set up the liabrary at Colorado College. The Dewey system was
used until 1987 when conversion to Library of Congress began.
In another odd report of the time in the New York Times:
SUICIDE IN OBSERVATORY.; Caretaker Ends Life After
Partially Burning Prof. Loud's Instruments. July 6, 1909
Lew H. Warriner, caretaker of the Stellar Observatory
for Prof. Frank H. Loud of Colorado College, committed
suicide early to-day by shooting himself, after having
first soaked the floors of the observatory with coal oil
and fired it in three places.
Summary: Loop hike with lots of history.
Historical remains - Loud's Cabin
Colorado Springs, CO
stream, rock formations, artifacts
2.0-3.5 hours round trip from Gold Camp
good single wide - no climbing
Cabin Remains for Loud's Cabin in Jones Park
Loud's Cabin (2010)
Below: Remains of Loud's third cabin made
from original logs of snow slide cabin
Bucket, cups, cans and artifact from Jones Park
the "trash dump" is along the trial
above the camp
Above cellar of another cabin remains located southwest of
Jones Park - may be the Morris cabin
Below are the land claims in the area, and cabin locations.
Mt. Garfield on
left - Mt Arthur (?) likely in center \
Below Pictures of one of the
eclipse stations Loud led studies concerning
Loud's Chipmunk Inn Cabin
By 1873, a primitive road led to the peak, where a weather station
had been established. In 1901, two Denver men drove and occasionally
pushed the first automobile-a locomobile steamer- to the summit.
In July 1873, two U.S. Army Signal Service enlistees, Sgt. George
Boehmer and Private James H Smith, were ordered to climb to top of Pikes
Peak to determine if a weather observatory could be established. They
loaded a burro with supplies and proceeded up the mountain on horseback,
reaching the top on the second day. They returned to their Colorado
Springs office exhausted and reported back to the Signal Service's
Washington office and General Myer.
Another trip was planned, this time with Boehmer, Smith and three
others, Private Edward Boutelle, Officer Fitch and C. Ford Stevens.
Boehmer and Boutelle sustained injuries related to their horsemanship
and returned to Colorado Springs. The other three pressed on. When they
reached the summit of Pikes Peak, all agreed that this location would be
ideal for the research of atmospheric phenomenon and its relationship to
weather and forecasting.
Before the winter snows, a Denver builder and civilian workers were
paid $2,500 to build a "signal station." They completed the job in four
weeks. The original building was 18 by 30 feet long, and ten feet high,
with walls 18 inches thick. There were two rooms. One was the office and
bedroom for the officer in charge (typically a sergeant). The other
served as the kitchen, storeroom and sleep quarters for the assistants.
The station was constantly manned - both summer and winter for 16 years.
The Pikes Peak Weather Observatory was officially dedicated on
October 11, 1873.
Though foot traffic and burro rides up Pikes Peak were common in the
earlier days, the first crude road up the mountain opened in 1887. Built
by the Cascade and Pikes Peak Toll Road Company, this new road afforded
sightseers and thrill seekers the ability to reach the top of the
mountain via the more comfortable wagon or carriage seat, especially
when compared to riding on the back of a donkey. Travelers could pay a
$1 and use their own vehicles, or they could pay $5 and be treated to a
nine-hour ride on the Pikes Peak Carriage Line. The fourteen foot wide gravel wagon road
was advertised as " the highest in the world, and a great advance in the
field of western transportation."
Shattered Dreams on Pikes Peak, Ivan
Springs Trails -
Summit Post Trail Guide
Pikes Peak -